Old 06-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Kay

In article , Tim Tyler writes
I bought a new fig tree :-)

It's about 80 cm tall - and has got 13 green figs on it.

Photo:
http://timtyler.freeshell.org/sprout.../pot/fig_1.jpg

My question is: Should I remove the green figs?

They almost certainly won't come to anything, but if it were me I would
leave the decision for another 3 weeks just to be sure. If they're not
turning colour by end Sep, then remove them (sometimes small ones do
ripen)

I'm new to fig cultivating - but I understand that figs that form too
late to ripen will simply steal energy from the rest of the plant -
without ever being useful as food.

I think it's more that the presence of developing figs inhibits
development of more flowers, so you remove them to stimulate early
flowers in spring and get the figs started as early as possible in our
short growing season.

I don't think figs have problems with energy!

--
Kay