Old 07-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| Keep growing. You can prune back, but they are BIG trees.
|
| Try a pomegranate.
|
| There's one (at least) growing outdoors in London, and is a mature tree.
| It might be worth allowing it to touch the ceiling, then planting it out
| in a sheltered spot.
|
| I meant an avocado, not a pomegranate.

Where? And are you sure that it is Persea americana (i.e. the plant
that gives the fruit sold in shops), and not one of the several
hardier species of Persea?

Note that I am not claiming you are wrong, as it grows perfectly well
in places with winters as cold as London's. I am more than a little
surprised that it has reached maturity, though, as we had some
coldish winters up until a decade ago.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.