Old 31-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

p.s. you are wasting your money by hiring orkin or any similar killer
company because 1) yellowjackets usually overtake an older existing mole or
vole home and therefore it is quite maze-like; and 2) the yellowjackets will
just move their queen to another hole and make that their home. how many
holes can you hire someone to spray...and kill???

Don't know about Orkin, but I will put in a good word for some local pest control
guys. We had a tiny baby at home and *several* yellowjacket nests near the
front and side porches. Something *had* to be done.

Called a local pest control guy (not someone from the big chains). Watched
him through the front window while he smoked the nests, raked them up and
into heavy plastic bags, sealed them up and hauled them away. It was
worth every penny I paid him just to see that. (He remarked how unusual
is was to see so many wasp nests so close together.) Problem solved; other
than a few stragglers the next day, they were gone.

Now, I'm sure the guys at the big chains would be pushing to get you set up
as a regular customer for all kinds of preventative pesticide applications.
(That was the case when I called the company which starts with T and ends in X.)
But not every possible solution involves massive amounts of pesticides...

(attributed to Don Marti)