Old 01-09-2004, 08:25 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Hi Nasa,

Water forms layers when it is cold. The bottom of the pond can be several
degrees warmer than the top. Someone here once measured the temps with a
thermometer.

The still water is also easier on the fish, they don't have to work against a
current.

I'd go with the 55 degree temperature to stop feeding. That way you won't be
caught by a sudden down turn of the temps.

My albino channel catfish is a good thermometer where feeding is concerned. He
simply will not eat if the water temperature drops below 52 degrees F, although
the gold fish and Koi will nibble if given a little food. So when my catfish
stops eating, I stop feeding them all, or at least only feed them when the
temperature gets above 52 degrees F. And even then, I only give them a small
amount that they can eat in a couple of minutes, and only a couple of times per
week, if the temperature allows, and only if they are interested.