Old 07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Phil L
writes
I just wanted to enquire in here about insects, weeds and

elevation...
About 7 years ago we used to live at the top of the hill from where

I live
now, we'd lived there for 30 years and in all that time I never saw

one
snail, in fact I thought we lived in a part of the country where

they hadn't
yet conquered, yet down here there are millions of the buggers - I

only live
400 yards away from where I used to live!
The hill is about 40 feet in total height...we only ever had tiny

black or
pale brown slugs, yet down here they are up to four inches long and

an inch
thick, either bright orange or black...the soil down here is very

sandy
underneath, up there it was a heavy clay type soil...is elevation

to blame
for this or is it the soil type? - I'd have thought that with the

extra
drainage down here they would be *less* suited than up there where

rainwater
seemed to take days to get through the clay..

Up to 7 years ago I hadn't seen a snail in our garden. Now we find

them
by the handful. We haven't moved - it's still the same garden

Ditto. And this year they are much worse than ever before.

Franz