Old 07-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Phil L
writes
I just wanted to enquire in here about insects, weeds and

elevation...
About 7 years ago we used to live at the top of the hill from where

I live
now, we'd lived there for 30 years and in all that time I never saw

one
snail, in fact I thought we lived in a part of the country where

they hadn't
yet conquered, yet down here there are millions of the buggers - I

only live
400 yards away from where I used to live!

[...]

Up to 7 years ago I hadn't seen a snail in our garden. Now we find

them
by the handful. We haven't moved - it's still the same garden

Ditto. And this year they are much worse than ever before.

What's the local thrush population like? People have been worrying
about them for a while now. You'd normally expect predator population
to rise in proportion to that of their prey unless some other factor
were at work.

Mike.