Old 07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:23:17 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

I'm intrigued now. Why is this one handed chainsaw so much more dangerous
than an ordinary one?

Dunno really, except if you're waving the thing about with one hand
it's perhaps more likely that various bits of your anatomy could get
in the way. Also with one hand you don't have the same degree of
control if for example you catch something with the tip of the guide
bar causing it to kick back.

Quite. And the various bits don't just include minor and optional
ones, but whole legs. How long is you have to reach the operating
table after severing a femoral artery? 5 minutes or thereabouts,
isn't it?

Actually, there are other issues. Using any power tool single-handed
is a LOT more tiring than using it double-handed, because you have to
hold it harder (think leverage). And the vibration of a power tool
held hard can cause you to weaken and lose your grip - often with
little warning. I gave up using a hedge trimmer after that happened
once too often.

None of us here is trained to use them but from time to time we work
with contractors who are using them. They only use them up trees, they
are not supposed to use them on the ground. Quite apart from the
competence angle, the physical demands are significant, you should see
the muscles on the arms of these guys.

Which reminds me of the FAQ: I am not strong enough to use a bowsaw
any longer; what type of chainsaw should I buy?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.