Old 07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Sacha

On 7/9/04 18:21, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

Lots of people replied

"JennyC" wrote
Question 2:
ATM she is looking for a plant to cover the top of a bank (cut away

to make room
for extending the house) The plant needs a good root system to hold

the earth in
place + hanging quality to drape over the raw edge (she does not

want a
retaining wall or whathaveyou) Evergreen would be good too..........

The slope if densely covered with grass, shrubs, small trees etc. It's been
there a long time.

There was a similar overhang before, the excavation have just moved the place
where the original overhang was.

I've posted a picture in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens (same thread name) The
slope is the one running out from the house (parallel to it).

It hasn't ever 'slipped' before..........

Whatever I type in, I can't pull up a picture.

But you did say that it needs a good root system to hold the earth in place.
If that is NOT in fact such an issue, I recommend Rosmarinus 'Severn Seas'
or any of its cousins for ornamental planting only. I also recommend
evaluation by a surveyor or structural engineer, frankly! It might cost a
couple of hundred pounds and save a few hundred thousand, eventually.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk