Old 08-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Crocker" wrote in message
I've finally got my new allotment, I've been asking since February,

they
said I could have the plot in June and actually I got the plot

today!!! (A
friend in the next county managed the whole process in less than a

month,
but that's another gripe!)
Here's my problem:
Nettles!
Oh and thistles and brambles and just about every other perennial

weeds you
care to think of that will grow after years of neglect.
Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to clear it and

suggestions on
what would be a good vegetables to start with?

It sounds as if you ought to treat the whole allotment withglyphosate
weedkiller. After 3 weeks, give it a repeat dose on all the surviving
weeds. But it has to be applied in the growing season, so you don't
have much time left.

Franz

Franz