Old 08-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Pat Kiewicz

lawn_destroyer said:

I have just signed up as the lawn destryoer. this is because i seem to
have an amazing way of not being able to seed my lawn. there is a patch
about 2' x 2' out of my 200' square lawned area that will not seed, i
have re turfed, seeded with many different types of seed, airated the
ground, watered it regulaly but it is still as bald as me. what is the
problem and what am i doing wrong?

incidentally, the soil appears to be clay like but also slightly sandy.
i live in the isle of man in the uk if this helps too. reasonably wet
climate with warm summers and cold winters.

Have you dug down more than superficially? Is it possible that there is
some sort of debris down below (boulder, chunk of concrete, buried
gypsum board) that eventually kills off the grass? Was the area used
as a burn pit or something years ago that sent the soil chemistry into
some grass-killingly high pH zone? (I have had 'dead zones' in the
lawn which turned out to have concrete chunks and plywood buried
below them.)

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)