Old 08-09-2004, 07:45 PM
His angel His angel is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Casey
I am thinking about planting shrubs that can tolerate lack of sun light
and heavy and concentrated rain pounding.
Any suggestions?
I prefer something that grows slowly and would NOT grow more than 3-4 feet.
We have a ground cover in a small section of our back yard. It started as about 5 plugs. It took about 5 years or so before those mostly covered the area of about 4' by 20'. However in the summer it has to be trimmed back about once a month so it doesn't overgrow the concrete sidewalk. It is green year round. It has survived ice storms and days on end of temps over 100 degrees. It does well when there's lots of rain and with hardly any water at all.

The only thing I'd mention is when choosing a ground cover is not to plant it near the house or garage. As it can creep/climb/grow up the walls. Thus the ground cover growing there can weaken the wall structure in time. Or there will be additional work in keeping it trimmed back away from the wall. Also keep in mind that if choosing a ground cover instead of something else that it is also a good place for critters to make their home. Fortunately we've not had any problem with snakes. We do however have frogs that live in ours. So in choosing the type of ground cover you'd like choose not only on looks, rate of growth and heartiness but what kinds of animals and insects it can attract and/or repel.

His ~angel~