Old 08-09-2004, 09:15 PM
LARRY THE CABLE GUY

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 05:01:23 GMT, Anonymous wrote:

There may be another annual grasses but if so I am not familiar with it.
I do see some people who plant rye every fall in their bermuda lawn
just because they like a green lawn year round. You are correct about
how it "lays down". Rye has very fine blades that tend to just lay over
when you cut it. If you plant it a little earlier in the fall (but
definitely not when daily highs are over 82 or so) you may get it to
thicken up more before the cold weather hits which will greatly slow
down its growth. If so and if you've got a really sharp blade on your
mower you can get it to cut decently. If you are going to do this I
suggest that you bag instead of mulch when cutting the rye. You'll want
to cut it higher than you would cut bermuda. Say 3 inches or so. The
only downside to planting rye in a bermuda lawn is that the dormant
season for bermuda is a great time to take out unwanted weeds. All you
do is wait until the bermuda has gone really dormant (say in February)
and hit anything that is still green with roundup. If it's green it is
not bermuda and roundup will not harm completely dormant grass. The
only danger to this is if you wait too late and the bermuda is just
starting to wake up (about mid to late march here, could be several
weeks earlier for you) then you can do some damage to your lawn. We
always had problems with onions when we had a bermuda lawn and this was
a good way to control them.

Anonymous,

Do you know anything about creeping red fescue??

I heard it has the runners like Bermuda . I might
sow thta in my backyard.

Thanks