Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Timothy Eisele

In sci.agriculture.beekeeping Dirk Puslich wrote:

4) Today (Wednesday) I went home mid afternoon and found 4 in my
dining room, quite healthy (before my newspaper attack), and another 4
in the basement (right below the dining room where the nest is) quite
sickly - floundering around on their backs - presumably from the Ficam
D. I called the exterminator again and asked if this is normal. They
were fairly dismissive and said "Oh, it can take at least a week,
don't worry". Gee thanks.

One thing I would suggest is not to use a newspaper to try and kill
bees or wasps. In my experience, they are pretty hard to crush,
and wacking at them just makes them mad.

A much safer method of dispatching bees or wasps is with a good
pair of scissors. Just creep up on them, and *snip*, all done.
A clean hit will cut them in half, making them harmless. And if
you miss, you probably will barely even disturb them, while a
partial hit is likely to cut off a wing so that they can't come
after you even if they want to. If you are good, you can even
cut them in half in midair!

This really does work. I've killed hundreds of wasps this way,
and never had one of them come after me. In contrast, the few
times I tried a rolled-up newspaper or flyswatter, they *always*
came after me.

--
Tim Eisele