Old 08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Alfred Falk

"Gord Stephan" wrote in
:

live in Hamilton ontario near toronto...there is not alot of water
near my property. Lake ontario is several KM away

If there's enough water for mosquitoes, there's likely enough for
dragonflies. Life cycle is similar and dragonfly larvae eat mosquito
larvae - in standing or slow-moving water, generally. Puddles, ponds,
creeks, etc.

"Alfred Falk" wrote in message
.. .
"Gord Stephan" wrote in
:

I found it in my garden and did not appear to be doing any harm.
Just sat there while I took pictures.

It's a dragonfly, couldn't tell you what species though. Not weird
at all in any place with moisture. The eat mosquitoes and other
small flying insects, usually considered beneficial.
Where do you live that you've never seen one before?
(Incidentally,
location is extremely helpful information in identifying wild
creatueres and plants.)

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://www.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/