Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Ted Shoemaker

Default looking for a sturdy "natural" lawn

Hello,

I have recently read a little about natural landscaping -- that is,
using indigenous plants. There are plenty of benefits.

If someone here could help me with a problem, I would appreciate it:
As far as I can tell, none of the local indigenous plants makes a
sturdy lawn.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin. The native plants here include
prairie grasses, wildflowers, and deciduous trees.

When you step on turf grass, it springs back immediately. You can't
do that with prairie grasses and wildflowers. To the contrary, we see
signs that say things like "Stay on the trail! The wild plants are
fragile!"

What would you recommend for a natural lawn in Madison, Wisconsin?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker