Old 08-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Mike Lyle

"ctsw2001" wrote in message ...
I've been putting off the task of putting down top soil and turf all summer
now. What I was wanting to know was is there a cut off point where you need
to leave until next year or can you put turf down all year round ?

Turf can be laid at any time, if you're prepared to look after it --
and you have to be prepared to look after it if necessary even if it
goes down now, which is the best time. But winter turf isn't meant to
be as good as that cut in autumn; and frost won't do freshly-laid turf
any good at all.

I always ask people if they're really sure they want to buy topsoil!
It's no substitute for cultivation of a neglected patch, costs a bomb,
and often isn't all that good. Sometimes even the horrible rubbly mess
left by builders only wants a weekend's stirring up and shifting of
the half-blocks and off-cuts of drainpipe to get it ready.

Mike.