Old 08-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:06:57 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

If you're considering the 'organic' approach - hack the weeds down

as
best you can and remove the cuttings ( or burn them on site ).

I was told that burning garden waste is naughty.

Depends on the local bylaws I'd imagine.
Fresh ashes can help to counteract the tendency for a polythene mulch
to raise the acidity of the soil.

Other options include composting the debris - but at this time of year
there are likely to be lots of seeds in the mix, which will require a
decent heap and a good temperature to kill them.
For the same reason it wouldn't be ideal to simply leave the debris on
site as part of the mulch.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk