Old 09-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Pen

I was saddened by the aweful situation you and your wife are in. I
hope you're all okay. Bumble bees are generally very easy going
compared with honeybees and some wasps. They'd have to be really
harassed before stinging. I'm sure bumping against a window all day
would have ****ed them off. They probably wouldn't have gone into
your house at all if their nest entrance wasn't plugged.

At this time of the year, as you've noticed, new ones are emerging
from their hives to mate and hibernate. Bumble bee colonies, unlike
honey bee colonies are formed yearly. They leave their nests in
autumn to mate then hibernate. They usually hibernate under trees and
shrubs so in future, wait until October when all the new bees will
have emerged and left. Once gone, get some expanding foam and
caulking to seal their former nest entrance.

Here's a good site for info on bumble bees:

http://www.bumblebee.org/