Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Andy Hunt

Default Raised beds advice

Hi all,

As I don't have a car, I've converted my back driveway into what will be
raised veg beds next year, by building walls with some bricks.

This year I've grown veg in pots, using "organic" peat-free compost, and
when the veg are over I'm going to empty the spent compost into the new beds
to form the bottom layer of soil.

I am wondering what to fill up the rest with - I was considering just
getting some topsoil for it. I wonder if anyone could advise me if I should
put a layer of manure in next, before the topsoil? Obviously I want to keep
these relatively shallow (2ft deep) beds as productive as possible for as
long as possible, with minimum maintenance.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Andrew
http://greencottage.burysolarclub.net