Old 09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
John Edgar

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:20:04 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I have recently placed a layer of wood chippings over some flowerbeds,
in the hope to keep the weeds down. The local blackbirds are treating
it as a trolley dash at Tesco, I've no problem with that, except they
are litter louts, spreading chippings over the adjacent drive in the
case of one bed. Having spoken to them nicely they are still doing it.

If I replace the chippings on that bed with gravel will that stop them?
I am assuming that the lovely grub(s) using the wood chip will keep the
grub(s) away. Am I right, will it work?

TIA

I had the same problem and also found that a good talking to didn't
work. Then I bought some black netting. I think it is fruit netting
and cut it into 18" strips laid at the bed edges and fastened down.
That stopped the buggers good and proper. There were complaints here
that the birds would get trapped and caught up in said netting. Well
they haven't: not one trapped bird in 8 months. So this has worked for
me. No more hourly sweeping-up of the drive. Magic
John
In limine sapientiae