Old 09-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Frogleg

On 8 Sep 2004 13:25:32 -0700, (Eileen) wrote:

Meanwhile, I do have a patio with vertical iron bars -- I would love
to have plants out there that I wouldn't have to bring in during the
winter, and/or some ivy or vines that would twine itself around the
bars.

I'm in Washington DC, so we get every kind of weather. The patio is
mostly shady.

DC is in USDA zone 7, so check for perennials that are hardy for that
zone (or lower numbers). Ivy will certainly survive, although it likes
to climb on rougher surfaces -- trees, brick. Your choices may be
limited if you have very little sun.