Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:06:57 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

If you're considering the 'organic' approach - hack the weeds down

as
best you can and remove the cuttings ( or burn them on site ).

I was told that burning garden waste is naughty.

Depends on the local bylaws I'd imagine.

In some regions domestic garden fires are banned (not that anyone pays a
blind bit of notice in Belgium). It turns out that a significant
proportion of dioxin pollution (and other bad stuff) comes from badly
constructed fires burning garden waste and domestic refuse. The
Organic(TM) fraternity prefer to ignore this fact - fire is "natural".

Fresh ashes can help to counteract the tendency for a polythene mulch
to raise the acidity of the soil.

I only burn my garden rubbish when it is tinder dry. Onions and fruit
trees seem to thrive on any charcoal and wood ash that remains.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown