Old 09-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Victoria Clare

"[H]omer" wrote in newsan.2004.09.09.12.25.32.940135
@ftc.gov:

I'm getting brave now, and playing around with harvested seeds, but I am
mainly ignorant of such things. So far I think I've figured out that you
can't propagate F1's since they are sterile, but anything else should
work, right?

No - F1 plants may well have fertile seeds. They are just unlikely to grow
up exactly like their parents. F1 plants are usually very similar and
consistent, unlike ordinary mixed seed which may produce plants that are
taller, shorter, fastgrowing, slower, paler, darker, and so on.

Some plants are always propagated by cuttings, and don't produce seeds, but
most things that get as far as producing full-grown healthy seeds will use
them to reproduce.

Just don't expect the 'children' to look exactly like their parents! (this
particularly applies to things like squashes, marrows and pumpkins - a vary
promiscuous set of plants!)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill