Old 09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
BAC

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 8/9/04 22:32, in article , "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

snip
I'd say handing out legal advice without proof that you're qualified to do
so is more than arrogant, it's potentially dangerous for anyone who might
naively act upon it. Free advice from barrackroom lawyers is usually

worth
exactly what you pay for it.

If a person does hold him or herself out to be a lawyer, and provides legal
advice, the courts have held that he/she owes the same duty of care to the
recipient of the advice as would a qualified lawyer. Hence it is probably
equally risky for a barrack room lawyer to dispense free legal advice as it
is for the recipient to follow it.

However, I haven't noticed anybody offering legal advice in this case,
merely practical observations on how to deal with circumstances which might
give rise to a claim for compensation.