Old 09-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Roberto Alday Delgadillo

As you all know, I am an apprentice at Bonsai, but about two weeks ago I was talking with Mr. Shinishi Nakajima and by chance we talked about wiring and he told me that -in the specific case of azaleas- it would be better if you "dry" the tree for about a week BEFORE you wire them, as the branches are very strong and this procedure will ease it.

BTW, he also told me to wire the Acer Mamiji while it still has the leaves on.

For what it worth,

Roberto

Nina:

The logic works for me, but experience tells me otherwise. I have bent some extremely old branches with tight growth rings. The trees that were allowed to dry out before the stylings were significantly easier to bend. I attribute this to the amazing strength of the water swollen inner bark.

Is it my imagination? );-)

Regardless,

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++