Old 04-09-2004, 06:28 PM
K Barrett

Default Cultivar Naming Convention

You are correct. 'X' would be the same and the clonal name would carry
forward only if 'X' had been meristemmed. A selfing produces a genetic
spectrum of progeny, and is how many albinos or recessive colors that breed
true are found.

K Barrett.

"Xi Wang" wrote in message
Hi group,

I'm rather new at this (but I'm learning quickly), so sorry for all the
questions on small technical details, but...

I was wondering, if we had something like Phal ABC 'X' x self, would the
progeny all be Phal ABC 'X', or can 'X' be only used for exact clones of
the original plant? That would make sense as selfing would still
produce a genetic spectrum of progeny, but I thougth I'd ask to make sure.

Cheers,
Xi