Old 09-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Des Higgins wrote:

House plant query about Avocado plants as house plants:
I have 2 big ones and one small one. They germinated in the compost heap
from discarded stones, which turns out to be a handy way to get them
started, even if it was by accident with us. The big ones are now 2 years
old and 2.5 metres tall. Right now, they look great indoors but my
question is, is it practical to keep them any longer as house plants? If
they stayed about this size and just went a big woddy, they would be fine
but will they just keep growing OR go pot bound and straggly if we try to
keep them? Has anyone here ever kept them any longer than a few years?

My parents-in-law have one in their conservatory that's
about fifteen to twenty years old. Apparently it was
planted by brother-in-law from a seed when he was a child,
and his sister did some bonsai thing to the roots to stop it
getting too big. Nevertheless, it fills half the
conservatory, and is ALWAYS thirsty (well they are
rainforest plant, aren't they?). It always looks ill, but
has never managed to do anything definite about dying.

So it can be done, but might not be terribly worthwhile,
other than to say "I've got an avocado plant!"

Rhiannon

--

http://sciethics.blogspot.com/ -- the rights and wrongs of
science.