Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 PM
anton

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Leslie
writes
This year my Conference Pears have split and are very hard.

Could be rain/ sunshine related.

That sounds to me like a working definition of Conference pears. Useful
mainly as a pollinator and the fruit are OK for cooking and fermenting.

The Wasps are
having a field day in splits and cracks.

This is the first time I have had this problem The trees were planted by

me
some 6-7 years ago and have fruited this last three years.

Any and all advice gladly taken.

Try Comice and/or one of the Nashi cultivars if you like pears.

Comice is v disease-prone. Concorde (son of Comice & Conference) is often a
better bet

--
Anton