Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 PM
bnd777

"Phil L" wrote in message
I have access to an unlimited supply of well rotted horse dung, a local
farmer who has stables has said I can take as much as I want.
I'm a bit wary, as I've read on here that it will probably contain all

kinds
of seeds etc..my questions are these:
Is there any way of de-seeding it prior to use - any storage or treatments

can give it?
I can get the stuff from the botom of the pile, which has been there for
years, will this make any difference?...obviously I don't want to create
work...is it suitable for all types of plants? - flowers? veg? hanging
baskets?
It contains a lot of wood shavings which was the horses' bedding, will

this
do any harm? - it has rotted down along with the dung.

TIA

LUCKY YOU ..........if I can get Horse muck I am only too happy to pile it
in my compost bins along with grass, shredded paper and prunings, weeds,
fallen fruit etc etc ........add a bucket or 2 of urine and your bins will
be very hot indeed .........weed seeds dont survive that .......i know
because i spread loads on my compost every year and weeds dont pop up as a
result