Old 09-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Sacha

On 9/9/04 23:13, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

On 9/9/04 21:47, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

Has anyone grown this? I am looking for a fast-growing, interesting,
medium-sized tree to use as a sight screen. I want it to cast a
fairly light shade, too. This would be ideal, if it will thrive.

My concern is the recommendation for damp. The soil can get very
dry in summer, though it can pretty well guarantee to get down to
damp soil if its roots run deep enough (only a couple of metres).
I had a complete failure with a Salix caprea because of this, and
it causes a lot of trouble to some shallow rooted plants.

My other ideas are Quercus coccinea or a suitable crab apple, but
the problem with the latter is finding any that aren't grafted :-(
Other suggestions welcome.

Nick, we grow Halesias here and some of them have hybridised. snip

Talk about a senior moment! Sorry Nick, for some reason Hoheria became
Halesia in my mind. BUT, I've seen Hoheria grown at the top of a steepish
slope and on a bank above that. It's quite a nice thing to grow in such a
way because you can look up into it and perhaps see it at its best.
OTOH, you could try Hoheria....... ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk