Old 10-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Bill Stock

"Rocco Moretti" wrote in message
Ethan wrote:

As a cheap alternative to lighting a planted tank, I am trying out 20W
(1150 lumen) 65k screw-base compact fluorecent lights, $5 at Sam
Walton's store. A lot of lumens for little money! Anyone think of a
reason that this won't work? I am considering supplementing them with
a couple of the grow-bulbs also available.

I hate to write a "me too" type post, but this will probably get more
attention now that it's cross-posted to the higher volume (but still
on-topic) r.a.f.plants newsgroup. (For some reason all rec.aquaria.tech
seems to get is cross-posts - I doubt many people even monitor it.)

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work - as I understand most of the
screw-base bulbs use the tri-phosphor tech, which should be good for
plants, right?

Should be a fine idea.

You should be able to dim most of these too. I considered sticking about 8
of these in a canopy last year. But the daylight bulbs were too
hard/expensive to get here in Canada. So I went with A.H. supply instead.