Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 PM
RP

I doubt they are aphids. They are approx 1/8-1/4 inch, hard black shell
and swim fast. I caught one the other day, it had a multicolored sheen
over the black. At first only the lilypads where getting eaten, large
chunks missing, then they moved on to the mosaic. I also had a small
amount of duckweed which is completely gone.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera. Here is a link to a pic.

http://darwin.wcupa.edu:16080/beetle...ernus_adult.jp

Thanx,

RP

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
:

"RP" wrote in message
om...
I have a small 100 gal pond in Dunedin, FL. Some small black water
beetles are eating my water lily and mosaic plant. I was hoping the
two 4" koi would take care of them, but no luck. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

snip

Oops, I hit send on that last post before I intended to.

How big are the beetles? Are you sure they are not aphids? Can you
post a pic? PP may be the way to go, check out
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...te/default.asp
.

BV.