Old 10-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Sacha

On 10/9/04 9:33, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. writes:

snip | Just turning to great autumn leaf colour, is white flowered
stewartia
| pseudocamellia (also too young to have flowered yet), though I'm not
| sure how hardy you would find that (I killed one at my much colder last
| garden).

Thanks. I will think on those two.

We have the Stewartia in our garden but I think it's reputed to be quite
tender?

Would Staphylea colchis or S. holocarpa be any good? I think it's a lovely
thing but don't think the autumn leaves do much. I think the latter grows
to about 20' and the former to around 11'.

| Sorbus are tough as old boots, interesting flowers, foliage, autumn
| colour and berries (from yellow to white, pink. red and orange). Most
| also grow fast, if you plant them as whips.

Yes. I am no great sorbus lover, seeing far too many damn rowans
on the streets, but there are plenty of them.

There's a very pretty pink berried variety with bronze foliage - not the one
in the RHS book which has green leaves. I'll see if I can find the name if
you're interested at all. I think Thornhayes Nursery has it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk