Old 10-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Andy Hunt

What's the base like?
I'm thinking in terms of drainage - if the beds are made up on a
concrete pan then you'll need to make provision for it.
Likewise if the ground is compacted - it'd be worth roughing up down
to a depth of a foot or so first.

The base is concrete, but on a slight slope which will obviously help the
drainage. Also, the walls are 'dry stone walls' with no cement in between
the bricks, which should help the drainage too.

I'd be inclined to treat a walled bed much like a giant pot - so if
you placed the spent compost at the very bottom you might end up
clogging the drainage. Some light hardcore might be appropriate?

I'll have a think - I've got a few broken bricks in there, but not many. The
above factors might make drainage OK. Also, I over-estimated the depth of
the beds in my first post - they are only just over a foot or so deep. So
the 'large pot' scenario is probably the most appropriate here!

Sounds like a fascinating project though - and if you designed the
walls with some slots in, you could knock up some cloches/fleece
frames to fit - which would help to extend the season.

Now there's an idea . . . mini-polytunnels . . . I could plant some spuds in
the autumn after the main veg are over, and have them fresh at Christmas!
And use them in the spring too, to get nice big strong plants early in the
year. Thanks for that one!!!

Andy
http://greencottage.burysolarclub.net