Old 10-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:47:28 +0100, Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message

Have you looked at styrax japonica? It also has a "snowdrop" effect.
Mine is small and has only been in for a year or so, so no flowers yet,
but it's making an elegant shape.

I have two Styraces japonicae grown from exchange seed labelled
"dwarf form". They've been planted out for at least 15 years and
seem to have topped out at about 3 meters height.

I'm none too certain that this is any smaller than the usual, but
think I've seen taller ones in other gardens.

Malus sargenti is another small tree worth growing: exceptionally
beautiful in the springtime, and in good seasons loaded with tiny
red applets in the fall. Mine is a martyr to winter moth so I
rarely get fruit.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada