Old 10-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Rowan berries also make a good herb jelly, delicious with cold meat or
sharp cheese.

Ah! I am pretty certain that tells me things about your DNA ....

Some 60% of the UK population can't tell bitter from sour (or
possibly distinguish them very weakly). Rowan berries are as
bitter as hell (quinine-like) and almost all of us who can
distinguish will find the jelly inedible. I made some, and it
went in the bin.

Note that, if you can counteract bitterness with sugar, you are
one of the 60%. The 40% can PARTIALLY counteract it with salt.
Grapefruit is sweet, bitter and slightly sour. Lemon juice is
not bitter at all, but the peel is. Orange juice is slightly
bitter.

Now, it is POSSIBLE that I picked them too early (it is common
for both bitterness and sourness to drop as fruit ripens), but I
don't think so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.