Old 10-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I asked Ray about this Stewartia idea for Cambridge and he thinks it's worth
a try but with no promises - England's weather being what it is, a couple of
miles or even a couple of hundred yards can make a difference.

Yes, and my garden is windswept. Not having the space for a proper
arboretum, I still think that I will go with the Halesia. But it
makes me sad that the roadside trees are almost never more exciting
than rowan and birch, neither of which can claim to be 'natural'
on the loams of the south east.

There was a recent offer from the local authority to plant a tree
in front of our houses, and that was the choice :-( Thinking about
it, I will ask my wife what she thinks and consider planting one
out there, too. That would show up the road in about a decade,
if it thrives!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.