Old 10-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're edible.

Does anyone know how to cook/prepare them at all?

Delicious - but discard any bits on which the gills are darker than a
pale pink.

Wash, then halve the mushrooms and their stalks and fry in butter or
olive oil. (Most of a mushroom's flavour is oil-soluble.)

With the remainder of the fat and juices, make a roux, then (over heat!)
add white wine and a scrape of nutmeg until you have made a sauce.

Serving suggestion: On hot buttered toast, and covered in sauce. Or,
make the sauce very thick, and put sliced mushrooms and sauce in a
toasted sandwich maker.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/