Old 10-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:28:07 GMT, (Anna Kettle)
wrote:

Delicious - but discard any bits

You know about 'shrooms too?!

Last year I went on a fungus foray and discovered beefsteak fungus
which is lovely and bloody and tastes of lemon. Then I was told that
there are six fungi worth eating in England and that beefsteak fungus
is one of them

What are the others?

Field mushroom
um
Chantarelle do you get that here or only in France?
Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

???

Parasol mushrooms are excellent...though some people might find the
shaggy variety disagrees with them.
Likewise, some people ( i.e. me! ) can't tolerate wood blewits...had
to try twice just to make sure.

Giant puffballs are wonderful - and quite mild in flavour, so even
unadventurous gourmets can be persuaded to have a go! Coated in beaten
egg yolk and sauteed, they taste wonderful. Great with chips!

Wood mushrooms are delightful, slightly more aniseedy than field
mushrooms...and horse mushrooms are also excellent.

The Cauliflower fungus is a rare treat...I've only ever found one
edible specimen, and I'd just love to find another...and another...and
another...

Chicken of the woods is an unmistakable one - big, yellow 'brackets'
hanging off tree trunks. Good in stews.

Chuck in the fairy ring champignon, the St.George's mushroom etc etc
and then all the 'boletus' fungi....

I think there are rather more than half a dozen decent 'eaters' out
there...and a good many more 'fillers'.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk