Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Kay

In article , Basia Kulesz
writes

Użytkownik "Nick Maclaren" napisał w wiadomości
| In article ,
| Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
|
| Rowan berries also make a good herb jelly, delicious with cold meat or
| sharp cheese.
|
| Rowan berries are as
| bitter as hell (quinine-like) and almost all of us who can
| distinguish will find the jelly inedible. I made some, and it
| went in the bin.
| |
| Now, it is POSSIBLE that I picked them too early (it is common
| for both bitterness and sourness to drop as fruit ripens), but I
| don't think so.

If I remember rightly, the fruit must be frozen or dried before it becomes
edible to us humans:-)

That seems strange. Rowan berries aren't poisonous, and making rowan
jelly involves boiling, but not freezing or drying.

I found it like a rather strong marmalade - OK, but I prefer crab or
medlar which are much milder.
--
Kay