Old 11-09-2004, 12:14 PM
cross

" Nick, we grow Halesias here and some of them have hybridised. We think
they
are *very* good value because they're light, graceful and flower
comparatively late. Our garden varies between bone dry and absolutely
sodden, depending on weather - it can go sodden in a matter of days and

bone
dry in a matter of a week or two. About 3 weeks ago, someone asked to

have
a marquee on our lawn for a private memorial party and we had to ask them

use a small lawn as the big lawn was so wet that our feet were skidding on
it. Now, it is so dry that it's cracking open. In a bed at the very end

of
that lawn are two Halesias. Up in the car park bed, which is much more

free
draining, there is another, flowering its socks off.
Personally, I'd be inclined to say give it a try and water it for the

first
couple of years which is standard advice anyway, as you know.
--

Sacha

--------
I bought a Halesia Carolina from your nursery, Sacha, when we were in Devon
earlier this year.
It is doing well, planted in semi-shade under an old ash tree. The damp
summer has helped it to establish, I think.

Marina
E. Sx