Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

I would order one from a reputable company or business that knows what kinds
are good for your area. and plant it this fall or in the spring. Other
wise, Gary had a good idea. I prune my grapes in February, and the pieces I
cut off that are brown (year old) rather than green, I plant.

I plant them in pots rather than in the ground. I put 2 buds in the dirt
and leave two buds sticking out. Don't let them dry out, and in the spring,
I move mine into a place that is shaded in the afternoon. Those that lived
will put on leaves. I keep them alive all summer and plant them in the fall
when it doesn't get so hot.

Another way is to find an established plant that has long vines. Lay one or
two vines on the ground and cover some of the leaves with dirt (about 2
feet apart) in the spring. Then in fall, cut the vine between the piles of
dirt and dig them up so you can plant the roots under each of the dirt
piles. If done correctly you will get a plant with a good start of roots,
and 12 to 18 inches of vine that is ready to plant.

Dwayne

"Robert La Ferla"
wrote in
message news:aiRZc.107187$Fg5.92463@attbi_s53...
I would like to grow wild Concord grapes. I live in Massachusetts.
Where can I find info on how to grow them? How long does it take? Do I
start from seed? When do I start? I have seen some grapes in the wild
in other cities. Can I start from a clipping?