Old 11-09-2004, 05:53 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:
Has anyone had any luck with beneficial nematodes in tryin to control
fleas? TIA

I can't say they controlled fleas, but I have used them each season and my
cats seemed not to be bothered. However, trapped squirrels are loaded
with them. The difference might be the cats are primarily on the ground
and stay at home whereas the squirrels inhabit the entire neighborhood.

I am one of those unfortunates that a flea will find my ankles, and I've
not had a problem at home though I occasionally do at parks and at other
houses.

Whether the nematodes help is anyone's guess, but they must do a lot
positive as they and the ladybugs are spring additions to my yard and
garden. My garden has been very fortunate with the only problems
discussed here that have manifested in my garden is blossom end rot on
some tomatoes last year. That seems to have been a watering issue since
it has not repeated.

There are many herbs that can be planted to also discourage fleas,
Pennyroyal being one which also makes a great (and pleasant smelling)
ground cover. There are others also; perhaps others will name some of
those.

Glenna