Old 10-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Linda Barsalou

I don't know where you live, but here in SW Ohio where hot pepper plants
totally freeze out in the winter, I too tried keeping plants inside and
growing over the winter. I never tried cuttings, I usually just dug up
the whole plant as they were not too large and I would just prune them
back a bit. I did this for about 3 years. What I found was that I
often had huge problems with whitefly or aphids. Even when there was no
significant bug problem, they did not produce much earlier than the
plants grown that year from seed and ususally were not as productive
either. It also helps to have more light than just a windowsill
provides. So now, I just start seeds in Feb. to get a good headstart
and I get all the pepper I and all my friends can use. However, I would
be the first one to tell you to go ahead and try bringing both cutting
and whole plants in for the winter anyway, as I think experimenting in
this way is a great learning experience.

Linda

Lost wrote:
Hello all. I have a question I hope you can answer. In my garden I
have jalpeno, habenero, and cayenne pepper plants. They have been
producing for a month or two now, and I was just wondering if it is
possible to take some cuttings from these to keep indoors for the
winter(or did I have to do this before flowering? If so, what do I
have to do to keep them alive? Will they have to be kept on a certain
light schedule to keep producing, or can I get them back into a
vegetative state(what I want to do) until next spring?

Thank you for your time, and I greatly appreciate any advice!