Old 11-09-2004, 12:57 AM
wendy7

It's great to hear from you Diana, glad all is well. Hope your
hand is on the mend to.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, All,

Just got power back last night; the phones, both land and cell, were
out from Saturday until Tuesday. And we are lucky; 70% of our city
is still without electricity and I have no idea how many are without
phones.

Frances made landfall about 20 miles from here. We got both eye
walls. This was a huge, slow storm that began in earnest on Saturday
and did not complete its journey until Sunday afternoon. Damage to
the area is much worse than would be expected from a cat 2 storm,
mainly because it simply stayed and stayed and stayed. We originally
thought that it would hit during the day, but it came in the wee
hours. We thought a bit of sleep would be good, but that was
impossible of course. I put a pillow and blanket on the family room
sofa, and Casper the Wonder Cat was the only one to use them, LOL.
The cat decided to chill......

We had only minor damage. We lost some roof shingles and the
screening out back is ripped up, but remains in place. The orchids
are unhappy (still under cover due to the possibility of Ivan), but
all have so far survived. They need air and light, which we will
provide tomorrow. A fellow grower whose plants are largely in his
trees lost an estimated 500 plants.

Much more to tell, many anecdotes, but my son and Beverly just
arrived from Palm Beach, where they have no power still. Gonna go
cook steaks and relax. More tomorrow!

Diana