Old 11-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Eric Hunt

BK,

Den. crumenatum, aka Pigeon Orchid, typically blooms in response to a sudden
drop in temperature. If it's nice and blazing hot and then a storm comes and
the temp falls 15-20 degrees, I think that will do it.

It's a gorgeous sight when in bloom, and the fragrance is very nice, but
those flowers last a day at most.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"bk" wrote in message

I have a pigeon orchid on a palm that was started from a freind's cutting
2
1/2 years ago. It blooms several times a year, but each time only for one
day. It had one flower on Saturday for Hurricane Frances and I just
counted
12 buds that will open within a day or two. It's interesting that the
hurricanes are coming and it's blooming. There must be some corrilation.
When ever it blooms, I call my freind who lives across the bay from me to
see if his is blooming. Thay always bloom together.