Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
J Fortuna

Sean,
Congratulations on the beautiful mother plant and keikis. I looked at the
photo on abpo, and they look very healthy. :-) As already stated by the
others, wait until the keiki roots are long enough before separating the
keikis -- this may take a long time, so be patient. In my experience the
nice thing about keikis is that they tend to get to blooming size much
faster than seedlings, and so then you will have 3 plants instead of one,
and if you want you will have something to give as a present to friends or
to exchange for plants from others. I decided to keep my keiki plant though
out of sentimental reasons, it being the only plant that I have watched grow
from the very beginning, and all that.

As for the leaf that's upside down. Some of my Phals also have a leaf like
that. I have one time successfully persuaded a leaf to no longer flop by
staking it down. But most of the time I just leave them alone. As far as I
can tell the plants don't mind the flopped leaves. And so the main reason to
try to un-flop your leaf would be the human sense of aesthetics, I believe
(someone correct me if I am wrong please). The plants with flopped leaves
are continuing to grow healthily. I suspect that the flopping of the leaves
may be due to the plant trying to optimally direct all leaves in relation to
the light, but also young leaves that are not yet sturdy enough to hold
their own weight will flop over.

Best,
Joanna

"Sean" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi all,

About 5 months ago I purchased an out of bloom phal at a local nursery on
the cheap. It was in good shape with two spikes. I cut the two spikes

just
above the first node to attempt a rebloom and instead both spikes have
produced keikis (sp?). How should I go about caring for these and what
should I be looking for in the near future to have two offspring from this
parent? I have a picture in a.b.p.orchids titled 'phal keiki' for those
that care to take a look.

Also, if you have an opportunity to look at the plant, one of the leaves
from the newest growth has curved over to the point you can only see the
underside of the leaf. Is this ok or should I try to keep the leaf

topside
up with a small stake?

thanks tremendously for any help or advice,

Sean