Old 10-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Newbie Bill

May I respectfully suggest a year is way overkill. That's almost like
saying the best way to enjoy your next sex is to wait a year. In both cases
I am sure this would work, but what a price to pay. I doubt that most
people are willing to go to the potentially back breaking work of digging a
pond, put out the investment, gather the plants, get everything set up and
then say I think I'll wait a year before I enjoy any fish. Someone
suggested on a couple of fish, particularly given the season. This makes
sense. Waiting till spring and your biofilter is up before doing any slow
quarantined stocking. This makes sense. I am still in the tail end of my
first year. Personally I would be ****ed if I found out later that I missed
a whole year of the immense enjoyment I have gotten from my fish, just to
err on the side of caution. Yes I have had a few problems and very
unfortunately a few fish died. But 5 or 6 months into it everything was and
is pretty much stable, clear and healthy. This group, I think can guide many
or most people rather than just sitting a waiting a whole year. We may
never know whether rasta did everything perfectly and it was just a chance
event that has caused his problem. The same thing could happen a year from
now, if it is not a balanced pond issue. So I say yes, go slowly and
carefully particularly at first, but not that slow.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
no no no no no no no

ponds sit for a year before you put fish in. You don't have to faff around
with chemical this and that, you let the pond just sit there for a year

(at
least) to sort out its own chemistry

"rasta" wrote in message
news
thought i would draw on the collective wisdom of this group.

i have a 300g inground pond with a 45 mil liner that has been running
since april of this year. it has a 950g/