Old 11-09-2004, 09:39 PM
paghat

In article ,
(GrampysGurl) wrote:

If they learned to simply water their plants, they may have not had this
happen.

Home Depot seems to do ok without watering. I always rescue some plant out of
that place. I hate the Home Depot "Nursery"
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

You hate 'em yet you make it profitable for them by going there to
"rescue" plants. As long as people don't care enough about the poor care
to stop buying the plants, HD will never have any reason to improve their
methods.

I try never to buy anything from Lowes or Home Depot unless I really want
somethning common as dirty, that has not been there so long it is getting
unhealthy, & which is WAY cheaper than at my favorite nurseries. If it
does not meet all these criteria, I support local independent nurseries.

Though to be fair, our local Lowes takes great good care of their plants.
Walmart just lets them die & I no longer even bother to drive into their
strip mall for anyhthing whatsoever, but I still do sometimes get things
from Lowes or Home Depot. Home Depot is a mixed bag; the stuff they put
outside dries up rapidly, the stuff indoors they manage to keep watered.
But even if these places did all of it rather better, I'd still rather
support independent nurseries that have better & broader stocks to choose
from. At independent nurseries, I've gotten so many perks & freebies &
assistance on so many occasions by being a familiar face with a cart of
plants, but at chains there's no getting to know even the workers let
alone the distant owners.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: