Old 05-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default pond de-icer

Mosfunland wrote:
Hi all, I have that situation now. My bubbler setup developed a leak, the blue
tubing tore, and the pond froze solid. I can see the dead fish below the ice.
I spent yesterday drilling holes in the ice trying to get another bubbler down
there, but I couldn't get a hole big enough, even tried making several close to
each other and grozed it bigger. My arms and shoulders were so darn sore.
I'll try again today. Frustrating, especially since I think the entire pond is
dead.

Maureen in Phila

Hi Maureen,
Try putting a tea kettle on the stove until the water is
boiling and then put this on the ice. Tie a string to the
handle - so you can retrieve it if it falls in. You may
have to reheat the kettle a few times, but it will
definitely work.
Hope it isn't to late to help the fish!
--
Bonnie